Saturday, April 30, 2005

Observation No. 1

I often sit on my balcony that overlooks Hamilton Bay to watch the bird population. I have never seen two birds getting it on and often wondered how it was accomplished sans Barry White music. While I puff away on my cigarette I sit and wait to see a chance encounter as the vantage point of the roof below is a hubbub of social interaction of the local pigeons and shit hawks (a.k.a. seagulls).

I always thought gulls were selfish bastards, interfering with the daily sustenance of other birds, frightening them off with their squawks and wingspan in successful attempts to take the food right out of their beaks. But today I saw something I've never seen before, a moment of generous gull love.

I noticed a gull offer another gull a morsel, probably stolen in a single swoop from one of the resident ducks just as its neck was bent ready to chow down. The gull - most likely a male - put the morsel down in front of the intended recipient - most likely a female - stepped out of the way and waited for the gift to be accepted.

Other gulls were around, they watched sheepishly (I can't imagine a gull not eyeing another bird's piece of food) but they didn't dare enter the perimeter surrounding the morsel. The recipient of the morsel walked over, accepted the offer and ate it.

It occurred to me that human behaviour could be similar to a gull's that interferes in the sustenance of others in order to give to the object of their desire. This spawns the question: which is better, to steal to increase one's wealth on top of what they already have or to steal simply to survive?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home