Wednesday, January 11, 2006

U.S. Senate Bans Pharma - Educational Grants

This post has grammatical and factual updates - January 15 2006

Well, American justice is at it again. The Senate Finance Committee is now going to crack down on educational grants from the pharmaceutical industry to University researchers. Read the article here from the New York Times.

Don't forget this investigative report by Hamilton Spectator journalists who found 97 researchers at McMaster's faculty of medicine receiving educational grants from big Pharma. See Big Pharma Showers Mac with Cash

When will our law makers follow suit in Canada? Probably not until someone high up in our Health Ministries get caught by the Ontario Securities Commission for making money from the stocks of drug companies that get university drug researchers to experiment on vulnerable Canadians that's when.

There's already politcal backlash from Hamilton doctors on my personal fight for legal rights and for individuals with non-visible disabilies. I went to the Hamilton General hospital in August to get a drug script refilled - it was a life and death matter. Dr. Ali Hersi to me to go to another hospital at which I refused because he can't legally force me to go somewhere else against my consent and legally turn me away.

An emergency physician actually turning away a patient and refusing to treat! I ended up in ambulance having to go to another hospital to get treated. After this nefarious act, I had to go to Windsor to get medical treatment because I was refused THREE times - twice at St. Joseph's Hospital last year and once at Hamilton General.

Dr Hersi deliberately falsified the clinical records fabricating a diagnosis when I wasn't even there to be diagnosed. It was "allowed" by and his accomplice, Dr. Krysmanitch - head of Emergency medicine at Ham Gen. Some of the facts in the triage records were scratched out. When asking for a request to clarify the diagnosis (ie handwriting) and make factual changes to the record, I was outright refused.

Having spoken, again to the Privacy Commission, I was told I could make another complaint for a deemed refusal under the PHIPA legislation. The Privacy Commission is already prepared to mediate an investigation againt St. Joe's.

This isn't the first time my clinical records have been falsified by health care staff in Hamilton - to the point that it appears a diagnosis was fabricated in order to become a research guinea pig. Dr. Marilyn Korsecwa a researcher at St. Joe's passed on my name illegally - without my consent- to her researcher in Toronto.

Having recieved copies of the clinical records, it revealed that the appropriate testing didn't qualify the diagnosis. As well, facts were left out on previous diagnosis and others added that weren't founded. As it turned out, I didn't 'qualify' for the research because I wasn't 'screened' appropriately.

The FDA in the U.S. has recently charged a cardiologist for fraud for doing the exact same thing. See AHRP post here with links to the FDA's ban list.

Will we see the same done here in Canada? Pfffft.

On top of the Randy Modgridge story, the coroner's office has finished an investigation into 4 deaths at Chedoke Hospital for not providing adquate services to serverly disabled patients after a move to other facilities - run by CEO Murray Martin of Hamilton General, of Dr. Hersi fame.

Since there is absolutely no way in Ontario to get legal representation unless you have about three grand to start the process, I informed Mr. Martin that I would post his staff's names until I am sued - that is about the only way I can get this situation into a real court of law in front of a real justice.

You'd think it would be investigated by law enforcement but I guess Ontario doctor's are above the law, just like Ontario's lawyers and politicians are. ( I tried to contact Hamilton Police Service about the issue, but I was 1) fluffled off or 2) ignored. Now it's the subject of a complaint as well as a submission under s. 41 of the Ontario Human Rights Code)

I can't stress how unprofessional, unethical, and illegal some of the staff at Hamilton's hospitals behave.

It's gotten to the point that I am concerned about my personal safety if I have to go to a Hamilton hospital.

I met alot of people in my journies, including the mother of alleged terrorists, but they don't frighten me the way some of Hamilton's health care professionals do.

It's not like this anywhere else in Ontario - I have that as proof - so it makes it difficult to understand the mentality here and how they can get away with it. I find it incredulous but at least I have some supportive individuals and organizations to back me up.

The only thing I can compare Hamilton's health care to is that it's just a symptom of corruption - corruption that has infected those who we believe are the empitomy of everything "right and good".

3 Comments:

Blogger SleepsOnGrates said...

Health is a lever of incomprable proportions. Your focus on these issues is vitally important to us all. Please, please, continue down this road of inquiry.

12/1/06 9:17 p.m.  
Blogger Justthinkin said...

Damn...I just have no faith anymore. Unless the ER is on a code red, how the hell can they refuse you care? It is the same at some hospitals here. My oldest daughter went to ER for extreme abdominable pain couple of years ago. The doc there hummed and hawed and sent her home with an antacid. 3 days later she was having her spleen removed just before it ruptured. She didn't sue, but know only unconscienous patients see this quack, thanks to word of mouth. You are in my prayers.

13/1/06 7:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about also filing a complaint with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario? I've heard they tend to side with physicians, but if you have enough evidence, might be worth a try. (www.cpso.on.ca) And maybe someone at Legal Aid can help with your complaint and/or will direct you to a lawyer that will represent you without needing 3k upfront, wouldn't hurt to ask.
By the way, the psychiatrist's name is spelled Korzekwa, if you want it to appear properly in an internet search.

13/1/06 4:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home