Saturday, July 16, 2005

Summertime Reading - Book Review

My sincerest apologies to my readers that have come to visit everyday to see if I was back online. I think, it’s safe to say I’m back blogging although perhaps not as frequently as previously because I want to work on some longer essays that require a lot of research and waiting for written responses from the powers that be.

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me back with comments etc. I appreciate them.

I want to lighten up this post a little and give my two cents on Marguerite Duras.

If you haven’t read The North China Lover or The Lover or seen that movie, I would highly recommend them. All of them. I’m not exactly sure in what order anyone would choose them but the way I approached it, without any thought, was to watch the video or DVD The Lover, then read her book titled the same and then read The North China Lover. Or just read one. Or watch the movie only, but I have a feeling no matter which or one, if your senses love the love of lovers between different cultures, you’ll find it breathtaking. In this order, The Lover and its movie blossomed sweetly by reading it this way.

Here’s a passage from The North China Lover:

"They were about to separate. She remembers how difficult, how cruel it was to speak. They couldn’t find words, their desire was so strong. They hadn’t looked at each other again. They had avoided each other’s hands, eyes. It was he who had imposed the silence. She would say later that you could have told they were in love by that silence alone, the words the silence skirted, its very pace, how it diverted them, and the game, too, the childishness of that game and the tears."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home