Saturday, January 21, 2006

Appeal from the Blogosphere

I'm making a request of anyone blogging and in any form of news media to read Dana Robbins article in the Hamilton Spectator.

It seems, once again, that The Spec is subject to the subtle erosion of that clause in the Charter that you read on HR above.

This will effect ALL news media organizations in Canada.

What is at issue is that a Spec journalist has been subpoenaed to hand over his notes to the Hamilton Police Service as part of their criminal investigation against a known Hamilton crime family member.

The Spec's rationale is that the HPS should count on their own investigating powers and not that of the media - as it blurs the line between state and freedom of the press.

I agree 100% with The Spec's arguement that the HPS should rely on their own investigative skills and not that of a newspaper's.

Why this appears to be important to me is because police investigations are now under scrutiny. Are the officers doing all they can to obtain the evidence they need - by asking the right questions - talking to their own sources - without the need to obtain it from journalists.

I myself have encountered alleged 'bogus' investigations made by HPS but that was regarding a complaint made about the HPS itself, which is now in the hands of the Ontario Civilian Commission on Police Services.

The HPS are also in testy waters because the get information from a crisis call line called C.O.A.S.T and run by St. Joseph's hospital EPT manager Terry McGurk.

Forwarding personal health information by C.O.A.S.T could be violating the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) because of the uncontrolled personal health information that C.O.A.S.T personnel may be giving to the Hamilton Police Service.

I have already found that a C.O.A.S.T staff member was documenting my POLITICAL OPINION when I had called to inquire about where to get my records.

Even after making a request through PHIPA legislation to St. Joe's - I was never given a copy of C.O.A.S.T records that were documented in my name and what that information may be. This is now subject of a deemed refusal in a PHIPA complaint.

There is NO WAY IN HELL that my political opinion is going to be used as fodder in a hospital's clinical record and one at St. Joe's to boot!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One's politics are definately not a matter for a health line operator to be asking. You know the inmates are running the asylum when things like that "matter" when you are asking a publically funded facility for information.

21/1/06 2:08 p.m.  
Blogger Justthinkin said...

Well, nothing personal, but when you live in Liberal central, and Tequila's own little ghetto, life's a bitch. A company here in AB was just shut down for asking to much info when arranging shipments. Seems they not only wanted the sender's name, but address, phone number and HEALTH CARE #. NOT a good move in conservative land.
That said, stick to your guns HR, and I hope the Spectator does the same. Somebody has to, and you definitley strike me as the gal to do it. You sound like the kind of person we all hope for, a true friend, but a real beyoutch of an enemy if somebody crosses you or your friends.
BTW. I hope to get another little blurb off to you tonight, time permitting. If not, tomorrow.

21/1/06 6:51 p.m.  
Blogger HR said...

Hey JT...I don't understand the reference to Tequila other than I didn't mind doing shooters of it one time in my life.

The Harris regime was Conservative and the Legal Aid stuff shouldn't have anything to do with politics although it does if you look at whose was making the decisions - in this case it was the NDP at the time of the problems but the treasurer was Allan Rock - who ended up as Minister of the Gun Registry and Boondoggle Affairs

(I really have no comment on the gun thing only that I hate them - due to past experiences with the misuse of them - but do have a comment on money that isn't properly accounted for. I believe it is our law enforcement people that have the best knowledge in how to deal with this stuff)

And um...thanks for the compliment? lol
I really dislike disadvantaged people being taken advantage of or abused when others who have more privledge get away with things in this country that others can't or get punished worse for.

As for the health card number - I'm assuming it's illegal to collect that information in Alberta as it is in Ontario - due to health care fraud - but I've never heard of a business closing down because of it unless there have been previous breaches?

I'm actually impressed and a little envious that Alberta has such strict laws like that!

*sigh*

21/1/06 7:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home