Sunday, February 19, 2006

Student Publications & Cartoon Debate

Arab media publish apology from Danish newspaper - Toronto Star

The Islamic Supreme Council of Canada to start their own publication with "civility" - CBC''

(somehow an organization that calls itself 'supreme' is one I don't think I'd feel comfortable sending my views to no matter how 'civil')

Nova Scotia high school student publishes controversial cartoon - CTV

And from the University of Toronto:

The Strand's Response to SAC Press Release of Friday, Feb. 17 - News

To print or not to print? - Editorial

Yes, a cartoon is included in bottom link. It shows 'Jesus' and 'Mohammed' embracing and about to kiss. Now, depending on your culture two men kissing could have a different meaning. In the Middle East - men embrace and kiss each other on the cheeks without reservation. To a Canadian this may have different connotations. In Biblical history embracing and kissing was probably commonplace (I don't know Biblical history enough but I can find out).

I take it as a symbol of the actions of Peace between the two religions - the prophets being the symbols of those religions. I don't see it as funny or any other way although I can appreciate that others might find it suggestive of something else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home