Thursday, June 15, 2006

Port Security?

In the previous post there is a pic where a gate is shown closed because a ship is moored at Pier 8 which is just adjacent to the Canada Marine Discovery Centre. That gate opens to allow public access past a large warehouse for Dofasco and Stelco overflow.

If you continue down this trail you'll end up at a street intersection which will take you into this area as shown in the pic to the right. The sign to the left in the pic is another "No Entry" sign but I was able to get past the gate in the background which was wide open and make my way right next to the ship pictured below.


I took this pic outside the gates after I left the restricted area because I didn't think to take pics at the time as I was actually looking for an exit to the road that led me right to this mooring - in which I was able to get right up next to the ship on the other side of that fence.

I had to turn around and go back the way I got in, which included riding past the Hamilton Port Authority building. There were a few people but no one stopped me from accessing the area or asked to see an authorized card permitting access.

A couple of weeks ago the Burlington Lift Bridge had to be closed for 9 hours because some guy had gotten in the area and stole a vehicle from one business and left on the bridge. There were witnesses who watched the guy saying he was "erratic" but they did nothing to question why he was there.

I guess making ports secure like airports with restricted areas and back ground checks on workers as measures to be taken and reported by the previous Liberal government to the CBC hasn't made it's way into Hamilton yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home