Wednesday, April 26, 2006

On Genocide

Ok, so who watched Oprah today? From time to time I like to tune in – usually when I’m exhausted and want to relax with the cats. Today was one of those days but instead of hoping to catch casual conversations with celebrities or the latest home make-over, the topic was serious – Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity.

In Uganda, Sudan and the Congo.

I’ve read Susan Power’s book “A Problem from Hell” America and the Age of Genocide – years ago. A friend asked me why I was reading such a serious book - why not read something more light hearted?

Yes, it was overwhelming, horrendous, depleting. I couldn’t finish the last few chapters and still, even though I want to, am not able to bring myself to read Romeo Dallaire’s ‘Shake Hands with the Devil’.

But for today, I say it now as I said it then, what the HELL is going on in Africa? Why are the most horrendous crimes happening on this continent and it's ignored? I ask myself this and I want to find my friend who has worked for Amnesty International in the U.K researching slavery in the Congo. I want to find him and ask him why? Again.

Thankfully there is one Canadian politician that is acting on this and trying to answer these questions. Someone who has devoted their political career to the subject and is stronger than I -to read the books I can’t bring myself to read – and that’s David Kilgour.

Everyone remembers David Kilgour and his stance on Darfur – who held out for his vote of confidence to bring down the Liberal government on a better federal stance on Darfur. This link gives his compelling argument from his blog back in the fall 2005 – when we ignored him after he cast his vote.

David Kilgour has recently addressed the Oklahoma City University in March of this year. This link provides the transcript of his speech. If you have the inclination to read it – please do. Within the next coming weeks this will be in the news once again as George Clooney documented a recent trip to Darfur and whose goal is to bring it back into the public eye.

In October 2005 the International Criminal Court issued this press release for the warrants for the arrests of five commanders from the Lord’s Resistance Army responsible for crimes against humanity and war crimes.

Journalists have been expelled from Uganda from reporting on these war crimes including Canadian Blake Lambert noted in this report by Human Rights Watch.

As for the Congo, Human Rights Watch has enough documentation here to provide readers who are interested with the equivalency of a book.

This post is my attempt to bring unthinkable acts of violence back into my own consciousness, an attempt to distract myself for a moment to think about things of which I don't want to think, of communicating a sadness I've seen in the eyes of those who've been scarred internally and irrevocably by inhuman acts of humanity.

I hope my readers will allow themselves to think as well, if only for a brief moment, for, like myself, I find it much easier to comfort myself in the softness of my own couch, look out onto my silent view of the bay, listen to the intermittent evening song of a robin than to put my actions into somber thoughts of African nations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home