Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Public Transportation Tax Deductions - CP Platform

The federal Conservative Party has adopted onto it's platform a tax deduction/exemption for individuals who use public transit as their main mode of transportation. The United States already issues tax deductions for employees who use public transit to get to work. Employers are encouraged to give their employees a benefit for using public transit as they offer employees free parking who drive to work.

This is an excellent platform adoption because I have chosen to use public transit instead of purchasing a car (and besides, I just had my car stolen last October).

This will also take the wind out of the sails of the C.A.W run N.D.P whose smoke and mirrors support of public transit and feigned concern over the environment will inevitably decrease the need for cars and as such, their power, because as far as I'm concerned, the C.A.W is Canada's example of a dictatorship in what is supposed to be democratic politics.

The C.A.W's main focus is job loss in the car manufacturing industry which will be redirected to the manufacture of public transportation vehicles. Reduction in auto sales may also force the auto-industry to consider making non-emission cars or alternative fueled cars.

I also like the idea of fast rail service. I mean fast rail service. Since there is a lack of competition in the airline industry and busline services in Canada, with costs so high it's not economically feasible to see your family 3 hours away, I'm hoping this will increase competition and lower the costs to travel in Canada.

Why is it that a person living in Germany can fly to Spain one way for 30 Euros? Why does it cost me $100 for a round trip from Hamilton to Windsor on a bus for god's sake? I'd really love to see my family more often but I'm restricted from maintaining family ties because of such high costs of these monopoloies.

The telephone companies did the same thing not too long ago with their high long distance rates making it just as expensive to call family and friends in a long distance telephone call as it would to purchase a train or bus ticket to the same destination. I'm sure if the costs were lowered, more people would travel.

I always like to refer to the dollar store mentality. It's easier to spend $1 on 20 things than it is to spend $20 on 1 thing. It's value for money that consumers are after or the percieved value for money. If I think it costs less to fly than take a bus, I'm going to fly because the value for money is better. I have reduced travelling time and reduced fairs. If both are reduced then I will consider flying more often. Isn't that what competition is about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home