Friday, January 27, 2006

Prescription: Suicide?

Prescription: Suicide? is a documentary directed by Robert Manciero

Generally, the film is about six families impacted by the deaths of their children from prescribed anti-depressants. Many of the parents and siblings share their grief in this gut wrenching film of how their children died - by committing suicide after the use of anti-depressants like Zoloft, Effexor and Remeron

I've posted this a number of months ago but this time I've had an opportunity to screen the film privately. I'm encouraging anyone who has an interest in protecting their children from mis-use of SSRI's or from mis-diagnosis due to irresponsible medicine - to find an organization within your community to help screen this documentary. It can be used for fundraising purposes for that organization.

I will be making arrangements to screen it here in Hamilton and some other cities in Ontario. Please contact me at habamusrodentum@yahoo.com if your interested in attending the screening or if you wish to set up one in your community in Ontario.

Any media that wishes to contact families for interviews or to learn more about screeing this documentary in your town or city, please contact the Executive Producer, David Statter in Los Angeles at info@prescriptionsuicide.com

I'll be blogging very lightly for a couple of weeks so I can owrk on a s. 41 Human Rights submission. (If you want to know what that is there is a link to the left called human rights at work. It's a great publication and has a copy of the Ontario Human Rights Code).

Also, I am the proud 'grandmother' of a baby kitten. My cat Myrna had her first litter of one last night. Now I know what an expectant father feels like - I have more appreciation now for men and what they must feel when their partners or wives are in labour - even though Myrna is just a cat. She didn't want me to leave her side while I rubbed her belly (guys does that sound familiar?). I could feel the contractions and actually timed them....sheesh! what a sap I am for my cat ...lol

Take care and blog on while I'm gone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Justthinkin said...

Congrats "gramma".
As to the drugs, it seems to me we are in a conundrum: do we speed up the approval of drugs that appear to help, or do we test and evaluate them for a couple of generations to assess long terms effects? Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

28/1/06 10:08 p.m.  
Blogger Candace said...

The challenge I see with this argument is that people diagnosed with depression are prescribed these drugs. People diagnosed with depression are prone to suicide. I have yet to see a study that conclusively shows that those depressives, taking anti-depressants, would not have committed suicide without having taken the drugs.

I fully recognize the difficulty in proving a negative; however, if ever there was a case for the argument, this is it.

29/1/06 3:48 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home