Friday, May 06, 2005

Day of Liberalia

An ancient Roman festival called Agonium martiale or Liberalia was the day the Rex Sacrificulus, a priest in charge of the sacra publica [public sacrifice], slaughtered a ram. Just before the sacrifice the attendant would ask the Rex Sacrificulus: agone? Or shall we proceed?

Liberalia seemed a fitting festival to describe my perplexity as to why the Liberal Party won't sacrifice their tortuous pride to their sufferance. It never ceases to amaze me that those Liberals voted in by a portion of our electorate doesn't realize that this government is making a joke out of the recognition of the rule of law as a principle that Canada was founded on.

The Constitution and its very superiority of it are being challenged by the Liberal Party's semantics argument over the meaning of 'confidence'. That is more important to me than the deal made by the Liberals and the NDP. Sure, I believe the inclusions of items within the budget are important. But not more important than a respect for the laws that embodies the values of our society however flawed.

Perhaps my exaggerated sense of drama wants to fill the script with a scene from the last of the Mohicans, when Magua, battered and weak, resolves himself to his fate, attempts to stand tall before Uncas delivers the final blow.

Perhaps I still believe in fairy tales where there is a world of men and women of noble character. Perhaps I'm craving for a real life hero, someone to actually appeal to my sense of integrity and ethics.

Perhaps heroes are a mirage, a figment of my imagination, a boogey man that no longer exists when the lights are turned on.

Perhaps I want a leader for my country that doesn't abuse the members of his national family with neglect and then give them gifts to attempt to make up for the abuse. Ruling is more than a box of chocolates.

Agone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home