Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Off to War

Well, the war in Afghanistan is closer to home here in Hamilton. The Spec is highlighting 10 local soldiers on their front page as they head out to Khandahar.

I have no idea who they are but their bravery to face the unknown dangers is already making my eyes water.

On my strolls, I've been by the armories many times - being greeted by cadets with friendly hellos as I walked by. I have to say that one thing about Hamilton, its' citizens must be the friendliest in Ontario - more than Windsorites - always happy to engage in a conversation.

I feel for these kids - some of them probably marching past my building during their training in the summer. It's the younger ones that bring out the more emotional reaction - seeing my own son isn't far off in age.

I wish them safety and their families well, especially the mums - it must be an especially difficult time. We are all with you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Platty said...

Another reason why our Armed Forces deserve better, hopefuly they will get what they need to keep them as safe and well trained as possible with a new government coming in. The dangers they face seem to be mounting daily and, like you, I wish them a safe tour and a safe return home.

1/2/06 11:48 a.m.  
Blogger HR said...

Agreed

1/2/06 12:51 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home